Labneh, a creamy yogurt sandwich cheese
Labneh is a creamy, thick cheese made of drained yoghurt. The preparation of the cheese is extremely simple. Put the yogurt on a sieve lined with a muslin cloth or gauze, put it in a bowl and refrigerate for 24 hours. We are waiting for it to drip off the water. The longer the yogurt is left in the sieve, the thicker the labneh will be.
In Jerusalem Yotam Ottolenghi offers a recipe for labneh with plain yogurt and goat's milk yoghurt. I tried to swap goat yogurt for goat cheese sandwich and add a spicy mixture of herbs and sun-dried tomatoes. A very tasty spread for bread has come out, and it has already made its way into my kitchen. I really like stuffing small marinated peppers .
What about the water that is left over from the yoghurt drain? I never pour it out, I add it to soups or to meat or vegetable stews.
- 400 ml of natural yoghurt, can be Greek
- 300 g of goat's cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs with tomatoes "Sun dried tomatoes with chili"
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Mix the yogurt with goat's milk cheese, a mixture of spices, lemon and salt.
- Pour the mass onto a sieve or a colander lined with four times folded gauze.
- Place the sieve over a deeper bowl into which the liquid will drain. Tie the ends of the gauze together and put it in the fridge.
- Let the yoghurt drain for 24-36 hours, after which the labneh should be ready.