How to cook millet
Millet with coconut oil or clarified butter (ghee) and cardamom
- 250 g dry millet
- 500 ml water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- The groats are poured onto a fine sieve, rinsed thoroughly under running cold water. Then pour boiling water abundantly, set aside for 10 minutes to let it drip slightly.
- In a pot (preferably with a thick bottom), dissolve 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or 1 tablespoon of clarified butter, add cardamom, add the groats, gently toast while stirring intensively.
- Pour the water carefully and cook over medium heat, watching all the time. When the groats have absorbed almost all the water, and characteristic holes appear on the surface, similar to small craters from which hot air escapes, remove from the fire, cover and leave for about 1/2 hour. A pot with a thick bottom will keep the temperature for a long time, thanks to which the groats will be sufficiently soft.
- We store the prepared groats in the refrigerator and for several days we can prepare both savory and sweet dishes from it.