Cucumber and curry salad, i.e. we stock up and make jars for the winter
Homemade pickles - cucumber curry salad
I tried this salad for the first time in Switzerland. It was brought there by Małgosia in a jar from... Poland. We stayed at a campground in an amazingly beautiful alpine valley in the small town of Lauterbrunnen. A fairy-tale place that I sincerely recommend. At the campsite, we fed ourselves, so we brought some of the products from home.
Coming back to the salad, I ate Małgosia then all the cucumbers, and then I asked for the recipe and... I got it. Over the following seasons, the recipe has evolved a bit in my kitchen. I cut down on sugar, vinegar and I change spices every now and then. I recommend adding chili flakes to a few jars.
- 3 kg of ground cucumbers
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of mustard seeds
- sprigs or only fennel seeds
- 1 l of water
- 200 g of sugar
- 200 ml of vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Peel the cucumbers (or not) and cut them into thicker slices.
- Fill the scalded jars halfway with slices of cucumbers.
- Then add a piece of garlic, onion, a pinch of mustard seeds and dill, and then arrange the cucumbers.
- Prepare the marinade. Boil the water, add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil again and turn off the burner.
- Pour the hot marinade over the cucumbers and close the jars.
- Stir the marinade in the pot from time to time because the curry powder quickly sinks to the bottom.
- Jars of salad briefly pasteurize, about 5 minutes.