Homemade bread, sourdough bread baked in a cast iron pot
Bread from Vermont with wholemeal rye flour.
The Vermont recipe for bread is from the book "Bread" by Jeffrey Hamelman. Earlier, I baked this bread with the addition of wholemeal wheat flour. This time I baked bread from Vermont, but with wholemeal rye flour.
The proving time of the dough is approximate. It all depends on the strength of the leaven and the temperature in the kitchen. This should be checked as proving time can vary from person to person.
INGREDIENTS for 1 loaf
- 70 g of type 750 wheat flour
- 90 g of water
- 15 g of mature leaven (rye or wheat)
- 340 g of type 750 wheat flour
- 45 g of wholemeal rye flour (type 2000)
- 210 g of water
- 8 g of salt < / li>
- 150 g / levain (all except 1 tablespoon)
- 12-16 hours before the final mixing of the dough, mix all the ingredients for the leaven in a bowl, cover and leave at a temperature of about 21 ° C.
- Add all the ingredients for the dough, including 150 g of leaven (levain), in addition to salt. Mix only to combine the ingredients, cover the bowl with cling film and set aside for about 60 minutes for autolysis. At the end, sprinkle with salt and stir for about 2 minutes, cover with foil and set aside for preliminary fermentation for 2.5 hours. The required temperature for fermenting the dough is around 24 ° C. During fermentation, fold the dough twice with an interval of 50 minutes.
Folding the dough - with a hand moistened with water, grab the dough on one side, slightly stretch it and fold it inwards. Turn the bowl with the dough and repeat it 3 - 4 times on all sides.
- Form the dough into a round or oblong loaf. Put the loaf into a floured basket (or a bowl lined with linen cloth and also sprinkled with flour) and leave for final fermentation for about 2.5 hours at 24 ° C.
- Before baking, heat the cast iron pot in the oven 30-45 minutes at 250 ° C. Gently put the loaf on baking paper, cut it with a razor, for example. Put into a hot pot and bake for 20 minutes at 250 ° C with the lid. After this time, remove the lid, reduce the temperature to 210 ° C and bake for another 20 minutes.