Dolma in Turkey, dolmades in Greece, and tolma or dolma in Georgia - delicious little cabbage rolls with rice and meat in grapevine leaves.
Dolma (tolma) is the Georgian name of small cabbage rolls made from vine leaves stuffed with meat and rice. This dish is found in different countries and is very similar in composition and name, dolma in Turkey, dolmades in Greece, and tolma or dolma in Georgia.
Dolma in Georgian cuisine also includes stuffed eggplants or peppers. In addition to the leaves of the grapevine, linden leaves or young quince leaves are also used for wrapping. Some grape leaves only blanch, as do cabbage leaves for native cabbage rolls. However, it is worth picking them up beforehand, because the combination of slightly sour leaves with stuffing makes the dish unique in taste.
How to pickle grape leaves? I recommend a recipe for pickled grape leaves
- 40 - 50 pickled grape leaves (medium size)
- 1 onion
- 50 g carrot
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs - dill, coriander and mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, coriander seeds and fennel seeds - roasted and crushed in a mortar
- 250 g raw beef (shoulder)
- 250 g raw bacon
- 100 g rice
- 500 ml stock
- natural yoghurt
- salt and pepper
- Grind the meat, chop the onion finely, grate the carrot on a coarse grater. Boil the rice and cool it down. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, fry until golden and soft. Add the grated carrot, mix and fry for about 5 minutes, add spices and herbs, mix and leave the burner. Mix the cooled vegetables and rice with the minced meat, season with salt and pepper.
- We drain the pickled vine leaves from the brine, if they are too salty for us, we can soak them in water for about 30 minutes. We put the leaf on the table top with the matte side up, put a spoonful of stuffing and roll it up tightly, just like cabbage rolls. Roll up the remaining leaves until the stuffing is exhausted.
- Place the finished dolmas tightly in a casserole dish, pour hot broth and press with a smaller heat-resistant plate so that they do not flow out. Put in the oven and bake for about 1 hour at 170 ° C - 175 ° C. We can also simmer, uncovered, for about 1.5 hours, until most of the broth has evaporated. Serve the dolma warm with the sauce left in the dish or cold with yoghurt-garlic sauce and pomegranate seeds.
Recipe taken from the book " Kaukasis " - Olia Hercules