Homemade pickles - pickled radishes with an Asian flavor
The healthiest and tastiest silages are the home made ones. Then we are sure what we eat, and during the fermentation we can observe, smell and taste the vegetables at every stage of fermentation.
The recipe for pickled radishes in the Asian version comes from the book "Recipes for happiness" by Maja Sobczak. Of course, with minor modifications, as not all products are always at hand. It is worth experimenting, adding something from yourself, replacing some ingredient with a similar one, thanks to which we will get to know interesting flavor combinations.
- 1 - 2 bunches of radishes
- 1 liter of water
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 lime leaf kafir
- 2 - 3 slices of ginger root
- Boil the water, dissolve the salt in it. When it cools down to a temperature of about 30 ° C, add honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar and turmeric, stir until the honey melts.
- Wash the radishes, cut the leaves and put them in a jar or clay pot. Add peppercorns, kaffir lime leaves and ginger slices. Pour the prepared solution to cover the radishes and load it with e.g. scalded stone. Close the jar.
- At the beginning, it is a good idea to open the jar once in a while and let out the accumulated gases. Occasionally, the jar may leak from the jar during heavy fermentation.
- The fermentation time takes a week or two. You can ferment for longer, up to 3 weeks. However, it all depends on the ambient temperature, and above all, on our taste preferences. Every few days it is worth trying the radish, if we find that the taste is perfect for us, put the jar in the fridge.