Catalan fish soup - bullinade with garlic, lemon and chili mayonnaise
Bullinada is a Catalan fish soup with garlic mayonnaise. It has an unusual and delicate taste, reminiscent of bourride from the French Riviera and gazpachuelo from Malaga.
Bullinade is sometimes made with just squid, sometimes shrimp and mussels are also added. The soup can also be prepared with white fish, such as cod or hake.
The recipe for the soup comes from the book by Claudia Roden Mediterranea. Kitchen of the sun. In my version, I reduced the amount of mayonnaise, thanks to which I slimmed down the dish a bit. Claudia suggests in her book that we can prepare the soup in advance and finish it in a few minutes just before serving. That's a very good idea.
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves: 6 finely chopped and 2 pressed
- a generous pinch of saffron threads
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 2 liters of fish or vegetable broth
- 800 g small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon of seeds fennel
- strips of peel from 1/2 orange
- 800 g skinless fish fillets - hake or cod
- 100 ml of good quality mayonnaise
- juice squeezed from 1/2 lemon.
- a generous pinch of chili and more to serve
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a pot with a thick bottom, heat the oil, add the chopped onion and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 6 chopped garlic cloves and fry, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
- Add the saffron threads and the fennel seeds, mix and pour the wine, and after 2 - 3 minutes the broth.
- Add the potatoes and orange peel, season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. After this time, we take out the orange peel.
- 10 minutes before serving, put pieces of fish fillets into the boiling soup and cook covered for 5 - 10 minutes, until the meat is set.
- In a mug, mix mayonnaise with lemon juice, 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of chilli.
- Just before serving, pour 1 - 3 tablespoons of hot stock into a cup with mayonnaise, stir vigorously. Pour the mayonnaise into the soup and mix it gently.
- Heat, but do not bring to a boil, so that the mayonnaise does not curdle. If necessary, season with salt and pepper and optionally acidify with lemon juice.
- Serve the soup sprinkled with parsley and chilli.
Izabela 2022-12-06 09:12:30
Ciekawy przepis. Zdecydowanie za rzadko robię zupy rybne.
TajemniceSmaku 2022-12-12 20:21:18
Polecam, to pyszna i szybka w przygotowaniu zupa.
Natalia 2022-12-08 22:33:44
Nigdy nie jadłam tej zupy. Lubię takie nowości
TajemniceSmaku 2022-12-12 20:19:59
To bardzo pyszna zupa!
Edyta 2022-12-14 11:33:40
Nie słyszałam o takim majonezie. Zupa zapowiada się pysznie
TajemniceSmaku 2022-12-14 11:47:09
To bardzo pyszna zupa, warto spróbować
Jola 2022-12-20 16:07:31
Nigdy nie słyszałam o takiej zupie. Myślę, że warto spróbować
TajemniceSmaku 2022-12-21 16:31:01
Warto! Zupa jest przepyszna 🙂
Your email address will not be published.